Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Healthy Starbursts?

Being a college student rushing between class and work every day, I know that even if I eat healthy, I may not get in a whole food group... Vegetables are often the first neglected... So I am trying to make an effort to get in essential vitamins elsewhere.

I started off by looking at what my diet lacks. I am not a picky eater, but one thing I never crave is fish. Plus it's expensive. Which leads me to my next point: I don't eat many vegetables. Produce can get very pricey. I always have frozen veggies, but it's not every day that I get a chance to make them.

So, I set out to see what I am missing in both fish and veggies. Of course, fish has omega-3. Omega-3 aids in brain function, energy levels, and cell repair. Cell repair leads to better hair and skin too. In green leafy veggies, you find a lot of calcium. I'm not much of a milk drinker,either. I usually lean towards water. Plus, calcium is especially important for women. Women are prone to weak bones and osteoporosis.

After doing my research, I ran to Walgreens and found Naturemade vitamins and minerals. I especially love their fish oil pills because they are "burp-less" meaning that you won't have a fishy after-taste like you do with some fish oil pills.

Also on the market are vitamin "chews." I have tried a couple varieties of these, and they are essentially starburst-like chews that you can eat throughout the day to give you your vitamins. Many brands are offering this option, but I found them to be just a tad bit pricier than pills. If you have a sweet tooth however, you should give them a try!

I am no expert. I have done my fair share of research, but I urge you to do a little research of your own.
photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment